Syngenta is a global leader in agriculture; rooted in science and dedicated to bringing plant potential to life. Each of our 28,000 employees in more than 90 countries work together to solve one of humanity’s most pressing challenges: growing more food with fewer resources. A diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace environment are enablers of our ambition to be the most collaborative and trusted team in agriculture. Our employees reflect the diversity of our customers, the markets where we operate and the communities which we serve. No matter what your position, you will have a vital role in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. Join us and help shape the future of agriculture.
We invite you to help us shape the future of agriculture. At Syngenta, we believe every employee has a role to play in safely feeding the world and taking care of our planet. To support that challenge, we are currently seeking an Applied Genetics Scientist – Genomic Prediction in Durham, NC. Other Syngenta locations might be considered. In this role, you will closely collaborate with our teams around the globe with emphasis on:
- Implementing genomic prediction across stages of breeding pipelines to accelerate genetic gain in vegetable breeding
- Optimizing predictive ability for selection of traits to deliver on product profiles
- Monitoring germplasm structure and diversity to shape and optimize germplasm development process
- Lead genomic selection initiatives in collaboration with Germplasm Development teams focusing on predictive modeling for optimal selection of parents, progeny and hybrids and germplasm advancement
- Drive planning, design, coordination, analysis, and execution of genomic selection initiatives ensuring timely delivery during advancement cycles and within budget
- Influence adoption of genomic prediction methods, contribute towards their integration in the breeding process and the transformation of respective breeding schemes
- Continuously improve training sets and increase prediction accuracy to optimize selection schemes for target traits in alignment with product profiles and market segment needs
- Contribute towards the development of novel tools, modeling approaches and methodologies in partnership with Analytics and Data Science teams to drive continuous improvement of genomic prediction workflows and facilitate the delivery of enterprise level capabilities and IT solutions
- Develop germplasm strategies in collaboration with Germplasm Development teams by driving studies on germplasm characterization, structure, and diversity. Leverage analytics tools to derive insights that drive decisions on germplasm pools, trait deployment, germplasm development and exchange.
- Develop deep understanding of the crop(s) and respective market segments to ensure successful application of technology
- Keep up to date with internal and external scientific advancements in germplasm, genomic and data science toolbox and methodologies. Propose and lead development of new scientific knowledge and share experience across crops and functions.
- PhD in Quantitative Genetics, Statistical Genetics, or related field
- Expertise in genomic prediction methodology, plant breeding methods, quantitate genetics, statistics and experimental design, and relevant genotyping technologies
- Advanced data fluency and excellent command of open-source programming languages
- Demonstrated skills in analysis of large, diverse, and complex datasets
- Strong communication skills, ability to distill complex concepts and deliver clear messages
- Demonstrated creativity in problem solving and ability to drive innovation
- Strong initiative, results orientation, and ability to collaborative effectively in cross-disciplinary teams
What We Offer:
- Full Benefit Package (Medical, Dental & Vision) that starts the same day you do
- 401k plan with company match, Profit Sharing & Retirement Savings Contribution
- Paid Vacation, 12 Paid Holidays, Maternity and Paternity Leave, Education Assistance, Wellness Programs, Corporate Discounts among others
- A culture that promotes work/life balance, celebrates diversity and offers numerous family-oriented events throughout the year
Syngenta is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC)
Employee Polygraph Protection Act (EPPA)